Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Doctor, my eyes...

So I went to the optometrist a few days ago for my annual contacts exam. Which, to me, always seemed like a pretty good racket they've got going in the profession. You need contacts and/or glasses to be able to see (especially if you're as blind as I am)...but in order to get them you must get an exam every year.

So that means that when you go to buy more once you've run out, and it just so happens to be past the anniversary of your last exam, you are told that you can't have any pudding until you eat your meat. But in this case the meat is a $100 update (even with insurance) to tell you just how vision-impaired you really are. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really sure that my eyes change that much over the course of one year.

But I digress...I now have health insurance that includes vision stuff, so I found myself a new eye doctor out of the insurance listing via a very rigorous method of determining geographical convenience. Yeah...laziness, I know...but the only other thing I had to base it on was the person's name and gender.

So I wound up with a male doctor who is very nice, very thorough, and just a little odd. He's one of those people that sort of goes off on his own mumbling, verbal tangent about stuff, seemingly forgetting that a person who is receiving an exam from him is sitting right there. But it's all totally harmless stuff that, admittedly, I brought about by trying to make small talk.

He did, however, make several comments about how "beautifully healthy" my eyes looked. And one comment about how the "wonderful brown" of my eyes matched my "sultry, olive skin". Now, I really don't think that he's family, though he could be, or that he was making a pass at me, cause he just didn't seem the type...I really think that he's more of one of those un-self-conscious "the world is a beautiful place full of wonder, and I'm gonna say so, damn the consequences" type of people. He's a big time hiker and photographer in his 50s who very obviously has a former hippy side.

Then again, I did put my male significant other (John) down as my emergency contact person in my records...which I'm sure he saw before coming in to meet me...so who knows?

2 comments:

sandy said...

Eyes that match your skin tone, eh? Sounds nice, or at any rate, it's more than I got from my ophthalmologist when I went for LASEK a couple of years ago. You'd think dishing out that kind of money would merit at least a meaningful glance.

Moby said...

He totally wants you.