Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Awwww.....

John opened our back door yesterday to throw out the recycles, and nearly knocked this poor baby (or at least younger) pigeon off the railing that accompanies our stairs. He kept saying that it was a dove, most likely because I always say how I think pigeons are rats with wings.

Anyway, the poor thing wouldn't even move when we were right next to it and shaking the rail by going down the stairs. Later, John looked out the window and saw its mother sitting on the rail next to it. I was afraid it might have been hurt, but when we checked this morning it was gone.

Weird...but at least it let me get close enough to get a few pictures...

3 comments:

sandy said...

But pigeons are a type of dove, no? Anyway, that reminds me of when I was attending the University of Arizona, and this pigeon decided to nest on the sidewalk in front of the outside door to our classroom in Harvill, one of the busiest bldgs on campus. Week after week she was there, and no one dared move her out of the way, not even the facilities mgmt guys. We call 'em rats, but I guess we still respect them some.

Homer said...

I think that's either a mourning dove or an Inca dove- you should ask Jimbo.

Frank said...

Yeah...we were the same way with this one on our back step-rail. Didn't want to wove or disturb it in any way...I guess some of us are that way. We don't like to unnecessarily disturb our animal counterparts unless it's absolutely necessary. Maybe it's that latent paternal/maternal instinct or something...LOL