Monday, November 19, 2007

Just a coincidence?

I hadn't really thought about it, until I read a post on Moby's blog the other day...about how he gets all emotional when he's ill...I think I'm the same way to a certain degree. I've always been one of those people who tends to get a little grumpy and short when I'm sick, but I always just chalked that up to being angry about not operating at maximum capacity. There's nothing more frustrating than wanting to go on about your daily life (working out, working, the simple act of talking and not sounding like an emphysema patient) while you feel weak as a kitten and are coughing up parts of your respiratory system.

But I got to thinking about it yesterday. I think it's more than just being being angry that I'm ill and feel like an invalid. I think there's something about being ill that knockes me down to a lower spot on Maslow's pyramid. (Thank you Glenn....your post contributed to this too) Feeling like I'm gonna die if I cough one more time tends to put me somewhere between the "Basic Needs (Survival) " level and the "Safety Needs (Comfort)" level. I don't know about you, but I tend to feel like I need some base-level reassurances when I'm in that kind of state.

Which is kinda unfortunate when your husbear is outta town on business. I say all this as a set up for yesterday. I was missing him, as he's been gone since Wednesday. And, because of maybe being in a more-needy-than-usual mental state, I was feeling a little blue about it.

So, cut to me shopping at the Sunflower grocery store. I was shopping for some hummus and chips to take to our friend Scott's, as he was having a get-caught-up-on-Heroes gathering with a few friends. I thought it might distract me and give me something else to think about.

So, I walk into the store, and the first thing I hear is a song I know only from knowing John..."Fooled Around and Fell in Love". (Though, admittedly, it was the lame Rod Stewart remake, and not the original Elvin Bishop version John had introduced me to.)

Thinking that a little odd, I tried to tune it out of my mind. Only to have another song I know of only from John come across the PA. (I can't for the life of me remember right now which one, though).

Thinking again how strange it all was, I rounded the corner and saw a guy walking towards me wearing one of John's all time favorite shirts. It's a gray ringer-T that has a picture of an 80's conversion van on it and the text "Waiting Room of the Love Doctor!" in a decidedly retro style encircling the van. Except it was practically hanging off of this guy, not skin-tight like it is when John wears it. I think it might even have been the same size as John's...but the guy was just really skinny and didn't fill it out nearly as well.

This just took the absurdity to a new level, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes and laugh out loud. Unfortunately, the guy in John's shirt saw this, and looked VERY puzzled as did his girlfirend. He grabbed her hand and sort of did one of those "get behind me, honey...this guy's freakin' me out" maneuvers, and they hurriedly strutted past. I almost thought about speaking up to explain, but I knew it would have made me sounds ten times as crazy as they probably already thought I was.

I laughed again (this time on the inside) and headed off to find the right chips.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing like ill tall guys bursting out in laughter in grocery stores.

Moby said...

I call my moments like that PMS (Pansy Man Syndrome) We all get it from time to time. hehehe