Saturday, August 11, 2007

I'm never flying out of Oakland on a Sunday....EVER!

Well, it had to happen. After having a great many flights to various places that went off without a hitch, John and I finally ran into trouble going somewhere. This past weekend we were supposed to go visit some friends in Vancouver for their pride extravagayza. I say supposed to, because, obviously, it didn't happen.

The plan was to fly up to Seattle (since that's as far north as our free flight benefits will take us) and then take a train from there to Vancouver. I should have taken the hint from (insert mystical force of the universe of choice here...Flying Spaghetti Monster?) that this trip might not go well when I had to beg, plead, and eventually pay one of my co-workers just to get him to cover my shift. As if that weren't bad omen enough, I checked on trains once I had finally secured the days off I needed, only to find out that all of the trains going from Seattle to VC were sold out. Seeing that there was still a shuttle we could take, however, I figured we could just be a bit flexible and do that instead.

The flight plan was that I would fly into Vegas and meet John (who was already there for business) at the gate for the flight going to Oakland...from where we would then take a flight to Seattle. I had checked the bookings, and they appeared to be more than fine from Vegas to Oakland. From Oakland to Seattle was a little tighter, but still looked manageable. So we made our way up to Oakland, and proceeded to our gate for the Seattle flight...which was over-booked by a large margin. We put ourselves on the standby list to no avail, and waited for later flights...all of which we missed.

I'd been texting Moby about our ordeal while we were sitting around the airport, and he (being the sweetheart that he is) let us know that we could come stay at his place so that we could try again in the morning. So we headed into Frisco, met up with Moby, and had dinner at this really great chicken place whose name is escaping me right now...but they put out these spiced olives on all the tables that, by themselves are worth visiting the place for. Later we watched a The Prestige, which was fun for us to see again...and even more fun to watch Moby get all excited about figuring out the ending ahead of time. Later we kicked him out of his own bed so we could sleep there instead. It was a nice, if short, and unexpected visit.

Hey! This isn't Vancouver!

So the next day we took the two trains and a bus needed to get to Oakland airport from the Castro, only to walk upon the longest line EVER seen. You'd have thought they were giving away free Iphones or something. But that was only the line to get to the ticket counter. Luckily enough, we weren't checking bags, and had security passes, so we waltzed right on through and managed to make it just in time...to be told we couldn't make it on the flight we were trying for. And then the next one? Same thing. And the four after that? All the same.

So, finally realizing that we'd been beat, we decided that we should head back to Vegas, where we had left the car in airport parking. ($12 a day!) But we then found out that just about any flight going anywhere that wasn't the zoo that the Oakland airport seems to turn into on a Sunday was overbooked, and had a waiting list 14 lines long of paying standbys. How bad was it? we had to fly to Ontario, CA just to make our way to Vegas.

Having finally made it back to Vegas, we decided to head to the gym to take out our frustrations...despite having headaches and feeling a little nauseated from a full day of airport food. The next day, however, John's nausea went from "Green Zone" to "Fallujah". It was that bad...really. The bad part was that it turned ugly while I was visiting with a co-worker who'd flown in for a short while on his way back to San Diego. So while I was having buffet and talking shop, John was kneeling at the porcelain altar. Yes, I'll be expecting my husband of the year award nomination any day now.

...and neither is this! WTF?

Luckily enough, by the next morning John's stomach issues had turned more into just general malaise and less Linda Blair in The Exorcist. Still, I wanted to make sure that he was ok for the drive home, so I went with him instead of flying back. Which was really nice, as it gave us some time to spend together frolicking about in Lake Mead along the way. The water was surprisingly warm, and I got the added bonus of watching John's facial expressions as his feet moved from the rocky portion of the lake floor to the part he described as "icky and slimey". Classic.


And neither is this! But at least it's pretty!


The remainder of the trip home was a scenic tour of the lovely northern Arizona desert. Alot of which I spent thinking about how a flight from Vegas to Tucson is a little over an hour, but driving takes nearly 8 hours. I guess traveling at nearly 500 mph through the air verses 60mph on twisty, curvey roads tends to help with that.

Still not Vancouver, but at least we got a little vitamin D!

So the moral of the story, kids? If you should ever get the benefit of flying as a non-revenue standby passenger on an airline...don't fly out of Oakland on a Sunday...EVER...no, seriously.

7 comments:

patrick said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Except the flying out of portland part.

Unknown said...

I was trying to fly into SFO from LaGuardia, and they rescheduled my trip by a day. Praise Zod that SF is such a relaxing place before I go back on Wed.

Moby said...

Omg! You didn't tell me ALL that happened. Jesus H Christ Mary Joseph & David I would have been a mess. Lol

I have to admit, it was a nice surprise visit. Oh, and it is called "Firewood", the place w/the olives. *g*

Homer said...

Next time I really think you should fly out of Oakland on a Sunday.

This Boy Elroy said...

My dad works for USAir and is always offering to get me tickets with his benefits but I know better than that. I've had a lot of trouble lately even when I buy a full-price ticket. You certainly had an adventure though!

Frank said...

LOL...well, I would never give up the chance to use free flight benefits from your dad! We've actually had surprisingly good luck with going pretty much everywhere else we tried going in the last 6 months or so. (DC, San Diego, Chicago, Orlando, etc...)

I think there may have actually been something to what one of the ticket agents told us when she said she thought the craziness was due to school getting back in session this week for alot of people.

Rich said...

I remember flying non rev to London once. Couldn't get home for 2 days.
One night, I was awoken by an old english gentleman in a pinstriped suit and silver moustache.
He smiled at me and said, in his best Savile Row accent "Excuse me sir, but do you mind terribly? your snoring is keeping the whole of the airport, and quite possibly all of greater houslow awake"